In this article we will cover some of the best-selling protein powders available on the market right now and what you should think about when taking protein powder.
We hope this article will help you make the right choice for selecting the best protein powder for building your muscle.
The best protein powders
If you are looking for quality WPI (whey protein isolate) then this is a good choice.
- Gold Standard certified, which is great!
- Suited for those who wish to build muscles and increase their muscle mass.
- Some studies mention this powder is the best-selling whey protein powder in the world today, in the field of sports nutrition.
- Tastes superb!
- Each serving ensures that you get over 4 grams of glutamine and glutamic acid.
- You also get 5 grams of natural BCAA or Branched Chain Amino Acids and has a rich concentration of Leucine, Valine and Isoleucine in each serving.
- Users have mentioned they feel the effects almost immediately post workout.
- Recommended to be taken before workout as per the dosage recommended by trainers and fitness experts.
Check out our take on the best optimum nutrition flavor.
From the house of Orgain, this is quality protein powder, ideal for those who are busy and are looking for quality intake of protein while on the go.
- Organic source of protein.
- Creamy chocolate flavor and comes with 2.03 pounds of organic plant protein.
- Each serving give 21 g of organic plant based protein, 5g of organic fiber, 3g of net carbohydrate and 150 grams of calories.
- Gluten-free, soy free and does not contain GMO. Is vegan and has USDA approval.
- Frozen banana, organic coconut milk or almond milk are among other flavor options.
- Recommended dosage is 2 scoops measuring 46 grams either in water, milk or fruit juice.
Syntha-6 is also considered being one of the best sources of whey protein.
- High class milk protein isolate.
- In each serving you can be sure of getting 22 g of high class protein.
- Provides you with 5 grams of fiber which helps overcome the problem of flatulence and other issues associated with whey protein.
- 10 grams of essential amino acids per serving.
- Palatable and has a creamy and rich milkshake taste and texture.
- Best suited for those who are looking at muscle synthesis and recovery support after workouts and exercises.
- Tastes fantastic according to many users.
- Complements well as a pre-workout, intra-workout and post-workout supplement.
- Does not contain caffeine and can therefore be consumed during night or day.
We wrote a detailed review on Syntha-6, check it out here!
This is a quality all in one plant based protein powder. Made from the best of wholesome food ingredients including hemp, pea, SaviSeed and flax.
- Has 1.93 lbs. of high quality protein.
- Each serving offers you 20 g of premium, plant based protein.
- Suited for those who are looking at a complete and total amino acid profile.
- Also suited for those who wish to supplement their daily intake of protein.
- Brings you a 50% daily intake of minerals and vitamins because with extracts from kale, spirulina, broccoli and strawberries.
- Offers 19 servings and each serving offers a 20 gram of quality protein which is easy to digest and absorb post workout.
- Gluten-free and does not have any GMO (which has been certified).
- Quality antioxidants such as vitamin A, C & E.
- Rich source of Omega 3 and has 1.5g in each serving.
- Comes with 1 billion CFU probiotics which prevent bloating and other problems.
Now Sports claims that this is a 100% pure whey protein isolate supplement.
It is liked by many sports persons and athletes because of a number of reasons.
- Mixes almost instantly because this powder is micro filtered.
- Well known for being one of the best sources of BCAA or Branch Chain Amino Acids.
- End users can be sure that they will get the best of essential amino acids that are needed for repair and rebuilding of stressed cells, tissues and muscles.
- Comes with a neutral natural flavor.
- Free from Sucralose, Aspartame, Acesulfame-K and many other unwanted compounds.
- BGH free.
- There were some concerns expressed regarding the presence of lead, but was found to be in very small quantities and very much within the limits.
- Each 28g serving offers you 25 gram of protein which is really great.
- Many users are of the opinion that it is a highly underrated product.
Recommended for athletes and others who require high quantity of protein intake on a daily basis.
- Has a special fat burning property and therefore is recommended for those who are overweight or obese.
- Contains the best of Whey Protein Formula.
- Easy to dissolve and gets absorbed rapidly in the body pre-workout or post-workout.
- Free from BST.
- 100% Natural Unflavored Protein.
- Does not contain and artificial sweeteners or additives.
- Offers 4.0 grams of high quality BCCA in each serving.
This is considered being a unique protein in many ways. It is a 100% hydrolyzed whey protein power.
This technology is considered advanced because it helps in rapid and fast delivery of the protein once it has been consumed.
- One of the richest quantities of protein per serving. Each serving offers you 30 grams of high quality whey protein.
- Nine grams of naturally occurring BCAAs available.
- Includes precious quantities of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine in each scoop.
- One of the best sources of protein for those who are into strenuous workouts either as athletes, sports persons, wrestlers or body builders.
- Easy to mix with a spoon due to the unique instantizing technology.
- Has all the qualities and ingredients to make it the top protein powder for building muscle.
This is made from 100% ultra-pure isolate technology using the best of whey as the main ingredient.
The highly purified technology helps you to come out with a protein which helps in building strong and sturdy lean muscle.
- Suitable for sports persons and those who need added quantities of great quality protein.
- Comes with a sustained release formula, which helps in boosting post workout recovery.
- An outstanding 12g of naturally occurring BCAAs from protein.
- Has zero gluten, zero gimmicks and zero aspartame.
Why do I need protein?
Protein is considered to be the most essential amongst the three major macro nutrients for recreating cells and building muscles.
If you are a body builder, short-distance sprinter, athlete, or a wrestler, or even an ordinary person, you need to have the right muscle mass.
Apart from helping build muscles it helps in several other ways.
- Protein has 21 amino acids essential for severalbodily functions.
- Helps in regulating the secretion of hormones, increases immunity in the body and could help prevent premature ageing.
- Plays an important role in repairing and rebuilding cells, tissues and muscles. So sports persons consider quality protein necessary in their daily routine.
Protein is a critical macro nutrient
Consumption of protein is a must and essential in life.
According to medical experts and as per WHO standards, a person should consume protein equivalent to 1 gram for every kilogram. If a person is 60 kilograms, he or she should consume 60 grams of protein.
Further, complete protein should be consumed daily because there several of essential amino acids which the body does not store.
The above RDA (recommended daily allowance) is only for those with normal activities.
For sports persons and athletes, protein consumption requirements could go up to 1.5 gram per kilogram of body weight.
In case of body builders it could go up to 2.0 grams per kilogram of body weight.
Different sources of protein
Protein can be obtained from several sources. It could be from meat, eggs, fish, poultry products, dairy products, lentils, and certain types of cereals.
The protein which we get from our food sources could be insufficient or not of good enough a quality.
So looking for protein supplements outside our daily food intake is becoming normal, especially for sports persons and athletes.
Natural and vegan protein supplements are derived from whey, soya, wheat, pea and other sources.
Why the need for protein supplements?
Many of us might ask as to why we need to take protein supplements when we have a healthy and balanced diet every day.
We might be of the opinion that our food has the right mix of macro nutrients and micro nutrients.
This is usually not the case. We might consume protein, and sometimes in terms of quantity it might be okay.
But we should try to find out whether it has all the amino acids required for building the right muscles and cells.
In most cases it does not happen that way. Further, in the garb of consuming quality protein, we often end up stuffing our body with excess carbohydrates and non-essential fatty acids.
This leads to obesity and other health problems.
Therefore, there is a real need for choosing the best protein powder for building muscles and even for our daily lives.
Athletes, sports persons, body builders, wrestles and others have a much higher requirement of protein.
This is because with each exercise and workout, the cells, tissue and other parts of the muscles suffer damage and are put to more stress.
This stress is required to cause some damage and construct a new set of stronger cells, tissues and muscles.
There is no way they can meet their additional demand for protein from daily food.
They will have to depend on supplements and therefore most active people are on the lookout for the best protein powder for building muscle.
How and when should protein be taken?
If you are into body building, sports activities and muscle building, it is likely that you will need extra protein.
The main job of quality protein supplements is to repair the damage caused to the muscles and fibrous tissues after a hard workout.
You must therefore be sure you consume the protein supplement well on time.
There are two theories regarding the time in which protein should be taken.
One theory suggests that it should be taken before the workout.
There is another theory which suggests that protein supplements should be taken within 15 to 20 minutes after workout.
Both are right in their own ways though many experts say it is better to take your protein before the workout.
This reduces wear and tear and repair happens much faster.
We should ensure that along with proper timing, adequate rest after strenuous workout is also necessary.
Is Protein Supplements Safe?
Protein when taken in right quantities and as recommended by doctors, trainers and nutritionists are safe.
However, you must find out ways and means to metabolize the protein intake.
Otherwise, you could end up putting too much strain on the kidney and liver.
Those with kidney ailments and compromised kidney functions should check with their doctors before going in for a high daily dosage of protein.
Is Protein Safe for Beginners?
Beginners are can be edgy and uncertain when it comes to using protein supplements.
We need to understand the term “Beginners” from the right perspective.
As mentioned above, different levels of physical activity would require different quantities of protein to be taken on a daily basis.
If you are beginner as an athlete, body builder or sports person you would need a higher RDA of protein.
However, it would be wise to take the help of your personal trainer or nutritionist.
They would recommend starting off with a lower quantity and graduating based on the speed with which the body can absorb the protein.
What Is Quality Protein For Building Muscle?
As mentioned above, there are different sources from which protein derives from.
It could be from animal sources or could be from vegan sources such as soya, pea, hemp, whey and quite a few other ingredients.
When we talk about the right protein for muscle building, we must take into consideration a few factors.
The protein must be easily digestible and absorbable into the body.
Experts are of the opinion that whey protein could be one of the best sources of quality and wholesome protein.
It is easily digestible and your body absorbs it quickly. It is a complete source of protein and has all the 21 amino acids and 9 essential amino acids which are required for cell, tissue and muscle repair.
Therefore, whey protein is highly recommended by experts and trainers all over the world.
If you’re interested in high quality low carb protein powder, check out our detailed article here!
What type of drinking bottle should I mix my protein in?
It would be advisable to have the right drinking bottle when you are into workouts and exercises.
There are many brands and models available in the market.
We will try to have a look at one particular brand and model.
This will help you to understand what to look for when choosing the right drinking bottle.
Amongst the many options available, customers believe that BlenderBottle Classic Loop Top Shaker Bottle could be a great choice.
This brand has been around for many decades now. In terms of looks, ergonomics and quality of material there is no doubt that it quite a good product.
It comes with a 28 ounce capacity. Additionally it has quite a few other features which set it apart from the others. Here are a few of them:
- Has a patent mixing system.
- Uses the highly popular 316 surgical grade stainless steel blender ball.
- Comes with a patented loop top.
- Easy to use and ergonomic flip cap and tapered spout.
- BPA and Phthalate free and is dishwasher safe.
- Comes in three different sizes, 20 ounce, 28 ounce and 32 ounces.
Along with the right protein supplement, it makes perfect sense to carry this drinking bottle.
It certainly will be a complete and total solution for your entire protein drinking needs.
You must however take the trouble of cleaning them properly after each use so that it remains safe for daily usage.
What’s your favorite protein powder? Share with your fellow muscle builders in the comments below!