Top 10 Muscle-Building Workouts for 2023: Trends You Need to Know
Hey there, fellow gym enthusiasts! It’s 2023, and we’re about to enter a new era of muscle-building madness. With cutting-edge workouts and fitness trends taking center stage, it’s time to level up your gains and crush your fitness goals. Let’s dive into the top 10 muscle-building workouts of 2023 that you need to know. Are you ready to get swole?
1. High-Intensity Functional Training (HIFT)
Unleash your inner beast with functional strength.
HIFT is the ultimate combo of strength, endurance, and functional fitness. By combining compound movements and high-intensity intervals, HIFT workouts help you build muscle while torching fat. Forget traditional bodybuilding splits; HIFT is all about full-body workouts that challenge every muscle group. Your inner beast is waiting – are you ready to unleash it?
The Science Behind HIFT
HIFT workouts improve both aerobic and anaerobic capacity while increasing muscle strength and power. By targeting multiple energy systems and muscle groups, you’ll optimize your training and achieve superior results.
Sample HIFT Workout
- Barbell Thrusters: 3 sets x 8 reps
- Box Jumps: 3 sets x 10 reps
- Pull-ups: 3 sets x max reps
- Kettlebell Swings: 3 sets x 15 reps
- Rowing: 3 sets x 500 meters
Rest 1-2 minutes between sets
Check out this HIFT program for a killer 12-week plan.
2. Eccentric Overload Training
Embrace the negative for maximum muscle growth.
It’s time to go against the grain and focus on the eccentric phase of your lifts. Eccentric overload training places more emphasis on the “negative” part of the movement, creating more muscle damage and promoting growth. Get ready to level up your gains by slowing down and embracing the negative!
The Importance of Tempo
When performing eccentric overload training, tempo is crucial. Focus on a slow and controlled 3-5 second eccentric phase to maximize muscle tension and stimulate growth.
Sample Eccentric Overload Workout
- Eccentric Pull-ups: 4 sets x 6 reps (5-second negative)
- Slow Squats: 4 sets x 8 reps (4-second negative)
- Negative Push-ups: 4 sets x 10 reps (3-second negative)
- Slow Leg Curls: 4 sets x 8 reps (5-second negative)
- Eccentric Tricep Dips: 4 sets x 8 reps (3-second negative)
Rest 2-3 minutes between sets
Learn more about eccentric training and its benefits.
3. Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) Training
Get pumped and experience insane muscle growth.
BFR training is the secret weapon you didn’t know you needed. By restricting blood flow to your muscles during low-intensity exercises, you’ll trigger a massive pump and stimulate muscle growth. Sounds intense, right? Trust us, your muscles will thank you.
While BFR training can be highly effective, it’s essential to use proper technique and equipment to prevent injury. Consult a fitness professional to ensure you’re applying the correct pressure and using BFR bands safely.
Sample BFR Workout
- BFR Bicep Curls: 4 sets x 15 reps
- BFR Leg Extensions: 4 sets x 15 reps
- BFR Tricep Pushdowns: 4 sets x 15 reps
- BFR Hamstring Curls: 4 sets x 15 reps
- BFR Calf Raises: 4 sets x 15 reps
Rest 30-60 seconds between sets
Grab a pair of BFR bands to take your workouts to the next level.
4. Virtual Reality (VR) Workouts
Train in the metaverse and pump those virtual iron.
Welcome to the future, gym bros! VR workouts bring the gym to you, offering immersive and interactive experiences that’ll leave you feeling pumped. Build muscle in virtual environments designed to challenge and motivate you. It’s time to get on board the VR train and smash your workouts like never before.
The Benefits of Social VR Fitness
Many VR fitness platforms offer social features, allowing you to connect with friends or join a global fitness community. This not only keeps you motivated but also adds a competitive edge to your workouts.
Top VR Fitness Games for Muscle Building
- BoxVR: Box your way to a shredded physique
- The Thrill of the Fight: Test your strength in virtual boxing matches
- Supernatural: Full-body workouts in stunning virtual landscapes
- Ironlights: Engage in epic melee battles to build muscle and improve coordination
5. Calisthenics and Bodyweight Training
Master your body and unleash your strength.
Calisthenics is making a comeback, and it’s time to embrace bodyweight training. With a focus on functional strength and mobility, calisthenics workouts are perfect for building muscle and improving overall athleticism. Master the art of the human flag, muscle-up, and pistol squat – your gains are waiting.
The Progression Principle
To continually challenge your muscles and promote growth, focus on progressively increasing the difficulty of your calisthenics exercises. Modify movements and leverage to scale up your workouts and keep progressing.
Sample Calisthenics Workout
- Pull-ups: 4 sets x max reps
- Push-ups: 4 sets x max reps
- Bodyweight Squats: 4 sets x 20 reps
Dips: 4 sets x max reps 5. Leg Raises: 4 sets x 15 reps
- Pike Push-ups: 4 sets x 10 reps
- Bulgarian Split Squats: 4 sets x 12 reps (each leg)
Rest 1-2 minutes between sets
Level up your calisthenics game with this comprehensive program.
6. Hybrid Workouts
Mix and match for maximum gains.
Who says you have to choose just one workout style? Hybrid workouts combine multiple disciplines, like powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting or calisthenics and yoga, to create a well-rounded approach to muscle building. Mix it up and keep your body guessing – that’s the secret to continuous progress.
Finding the Perfect Balance
When designing a hybrid workout program, it’s important to balance the different training styles to avoid overtraining or neglecting certain muscle groups. Aim for a well-rounded routine that includes strength, endurance, and mobility work.
Sample Hybrid Workout (Powerlifting and Yoga)
- Deadlifts: 4 sets x 5 reps
- Bench Press: 4 sets x 8 reps
- Front Squats: 4 sets x 10 reps
- Yoga Flow: 15 minutes of sun salutations and balancing poses
- Pigeon Pose: Hold for 1 minute per side
- Seated Forward Fold: Hold for 1 minute
Rest 2-3 minutes between strength exercises and 1 minute between yoga poses
Explore our guide to creating the perfect hybrid workout for you.
7. 5×5 Strength Training
Get back to basics for maximum muscle growth.
Sometimes, the simplest approach is the most effective. The 5×5 strength training program focuses on five core lifts—squats, deadlifts, bench presses, overhead presses, and bent-over rows—performed for five sets of five reps. This time-tested method is perfect for building a strong foundation and packing on serious muscle mass. Embrace the power of 5×5 and watch your gains skyrocket.
Periodization for Continued Progress
To keep making gains with the 5×5 strength training program, incorporate periodization by adjusting the intensity and volume of your workouts. This will help prevent plateaus and ensure consistent muscle growth.
Sample 5×5 Workout
- Squats: 5 sets x 5 reps
- Bench Press: 5 sets x 5 reps
- Bent-Over Rows: 5 sets x 5 reps
- Overhead Press: 5 sets x 5 reps (alternate workout days)
- Deadlifts: 5 sets x 5 reps (alternate workout days)
Rest 3-5 minutes between sets
Learn more about the 5×5 strength training program and its benefits.
8. Gymnastic Strength Training (GST)
Unlock your full potential with bodyweight mastery.
Take your calisthenics game to the next level with Gymnastic Strength Training. GST focuses on developing incredible strength, mobility, and body control by mastering advanced bodyweight exercises. Learn the secrets of the iron cross, planche, and front lever, and watch your physique transform.
Building a Solid Foundation
Before attempting advanced GST movements, it’s essential to develop a strong foundation in basic calisthenics exercises. Focus on mastering pull-ups, push-ups, and bodyweight squats before progressing to more challenging movements.
Sample GST Workout
- Front Lever Progressions: 4 sets x max hold
- Planche Push-up Progressions: 4 sets x 8 reps
- L-sit: 4 sets x max hold
- Handstand Push-up Progressions: 4 sets x 6 reps
- Pistol Squats: 4 sets x 8 reps (each leg)
Rest 2-3 minutes between sets
Master the art of GST with this expert program.
9. Primal Movement Workouts
Get wild with your workouts and unleash your inner animal.
It’s time to unleash your inner animal and embrace primal movement workouts. These workouts focus on functional movements inspired by our animal ancestors, like crawling, jumping, and balancing. Not only will you build muscle, but you’ll also improve your agility, flexibility, and mobility. It’s time to get wild, gym bros!
The Importance of Mobility
To get the most out of primal movement workouts, incorporate mobility exercises and stretching to improve your range of motion and prevent injury. This will help you perform functional movements with ease and efficiency.
Sample Primal Movement Workout
- Bear Crawl: 4 sets x 50 feet
- Crab Walk: 4 sets x 50 feet
- Frog Jumps: 4 sets x 20 reps
- Duck Walk: 4 sets x 50 feet
- Ape Walk: 4 sets x 50 feet
Rest 1-2 minutes between sets
Discover the benefits of primal movement workouts and how to incorporate them into your routine.
10. Isometric Training
Hold on tight for maximum muscle tension.
Last but not least, isometric training is a game-changer for muscle growth. By holding a static position, like a plank or wall sit, you’ll create continuous tension in your muscles, leading to increased strength and size. It’s time to embrace the power of stillness and hold on tight for maximum gains.
Combining Isometric and Dynamic Exercises
For a well-rounded workout routine, combine isometric exercises with dynamic movements to challenge your muscles in different ways and promote overall muscle growth.
Sample Isometric Workout
- Plank: Hold for 1 minute
- Wall Sit: Hold for 1 minute
- Push-up Hold (mid-rep): Hold for 30 seconds
Pull-up Hold (top position): Hold for 30 seconds 5. Glute Bridge: Hold for 1 minute
- Hollow Body Hold: Hold for 45 seconds
- Single-Leg Deadlift Hold: Hold for 30 seconds (each leg)
- Isometric Bicep Curl: Hold for 30 seconds (each arm)
Rest 1-2 minutes between exercises
Boost your isometric training with this innovative equipment designed for muscle growth.
There you have it, gym bros! The top 10 muscle-building workouts for 2023 are here, and it’s time to step up your game. With these trends in your arsenal, you’ll be crushing your fitness goals and making some serious gains. So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and dominate the gym like never before.